Georgina's place of rants!!! - "Spay and Neuter your pets!" - Bob Barker

so what else is new? Funny Quote of the Day - Rodney Dangerfield - "The way my luck is running, if I was a politician I would be honest."

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

doin the unemployment thing........

so i applied for unemployment yesterday and i had to say QUIT...therefore im thinking i have no choice but to appeal but i did say alot of things in the application defending my "honor" so-to-say.....there were alot of things going on in that building that ppl dont know about ... even personal stuff not just my personal stuff being flung around but for others as well.....i dont think im any more entitled to get unemployment then the next guy from stream but i really had no choice but to quit...it was either that or get fired.....i saved some of my application answers....no questions posted just my answers to random questions on the form...here goes.....

1:We all had pressure to leave work. During meetings, my teams supervisor would constantly say, "if you do not want to be here there are resignation sheets on my desk that you can sign", he also used to pinpoint people on the team and say "theres one there for you in particular" and i happened to be one of those people.

2:There was never a time where your extra efforts were recognized. I constantly got kudos calls (calls where the caller wanted to talk to a supervisor to "brag" about how well a job you had done) and they were nothing to my supervisor all he used to muster up to me was "how did you ever get him/her to say those things about YOu?". I think that in any situation where you have to be under a supervisor they should let you feel good about accomplishments no matter how large or small.

3:We had a sevourance package, ready willing and able to come back to work at anytime mind you, however, people including myself, were under the assumption there would be no work after this. That was supposed to run for 16 full weeks, however, we had to work though most of it. They served us with the papers to start may 1st 2004 to aug 12 2004. However, throughout those weeks we had to work fully on the phones and only get paid for hours worked not the full 40 hours promised on the sevourance, until may 28th then we would be off till aug 12. We all thought this would be ample time to look for a new job or relocate, however, the new schedule they came up with as follows dampens this idea. They came up with a training schedule which was very different then the hours we all worked previous and had to stick to the schedule even though i had a conflicting schedule with my drive they would not allow me nor anyone else to switch even though i had several people wanting to switch due to drives and the bus schedule didnt drive for either the start or end of the working times, the training was to be approx. 2 times weekly and it was based out of customer service which we spent 9/9 hours working because we were phone internet tech agents which guaranteed customer service for the full 9 hours. Then on june 21st they tell us the contract wants us back for a few weeks then we dont know whats going to happen. Since they gave us the sevourance package supposedly already, once the contract was finished you would be laid off. Therefore we all had nothing to fall back on only waiting 2 months give or take for unemployment. This sounds unfair to me.

4:I recently had a death in the family a week before i quit stream and had breivement days (3 to be exact) and only got paid for 2, which is pending. Solectron requires a death certificate for this which i delivered to them. My supervisor seen me outside work and asked, for work purposes, in a very unheartedly tone "who died, you want to get paid dont you?".

5:June 27th, the day before i quit work, i went to my doctor to get some time off and he denied me saying, "its summer that must be why you want it off". This is not the issue, at the time i had stress from my job, a death in the family that i couldnt get more time off for, and a supervisor that had just been unbearably rude to me as stated above.

6:We have "idle codes" at work which basically means you get to train or listen to peoples calls side-by-side to coach the person, and on our team we would have only certain people in idle which the supervisor picked. On many an occasion had i mentionned this to my supervisor that some people on our team would be in idle at their desks checking their emails or surfing the web (these people just happen to be the people my supervisor interacts with outside of work) and he allows this as the rest of the team takes calls that those people should have been taking as well. I believe that there wasnt one person more capable then the other to do idle on our team. However favoritism doesnt make for a very healthy and happy team. My supervisor would shrug me off and tell me to go back on the phones.


7:This is a very difficult question to answer. To sum it up i would have to say, there was no easy way to discuss this kind of situation with my supervisor. Anytime i would mention work conditions or lack of teamwork, i would get the same answer as always, "theres a resignation sheet on my desk if you dont want to be here."


8:At stream there were many lay-offs including GMs which were above my supervisor. There was no easy way to know exactly who to go to talk to for this. Besides i had an instance at work where my supervisor had called me "useless" in front of many co-workers. This was enough to make me want to go over his head right then and there and he pulled me aside and basically said im your boss my opinion doesnt matter so just do your job and shut up. How do you go over a supervisors head that says things like that to you? I found it hard to talk to him and thought it would be the same no matter who i talked to.

9:Well, again who do i talk to. This isnt something i am firmiliar with, i just want some help to relocate and find a new job. The lack of knowing when i was going to be laid off and or if there was work or not was strssing me out and i didnt have anyone to turn to. I thought the lay off and/or sevourance was going to be the perfect oportunity to start over and now look where it got me, begging to have a new start. I understand that maybe i should have went over my bosses head but as i stated before this was not easy for me or many on my team. I had asked many a times to be treated equally and got no response, the only thing i had in my power to do was quit.

10:The stress of the job itself was enough to make anyone crack. Relocating was what a transfer meant and i didnt have the money to relocate myself.

11:As i stated previous, the sevourance was going to be the perfect opportunity to look elsewhere with the time off and with the 40 hours a week pay "promise" i had many places in mind. But as i indicated this was all taken away from me and many others, as they made us come in for training which made it harder to travel to fond an apartment in maybe halifax of surrounding area, or maybe go back to school.

12:My last attempt to try and muster the courage to go back to work to see maybe a brighter future in the building was dampened by my seating arrangement. There was a guy on our team which was constantly scratching at his head and everyone on the team noticed this, even the supervisor and he was basically placed where he had to sit alone. When i came back to work my supervisor sat me beside him, because of an outside conflict i had had with one of the supervisors friends. I requested to move, because when i got there my keyboard was covered in dandruff from the other teammate using that same keyboard before we had left the building for the training. I spoke to my supervisor and he said "dont be silly, just sit there" i tried ot explain it to him and he, as usual, shrugged me off. So i talked to his per-say secretary (a girl on our team that he had do all his arrands and such) and had her come and look at the keyboard and she then talked to my supervisor and then she came and gave me permission to move. My supervisor was very much favorites based, and as i indicated throughout this application i clearly was not one of his.

AS YOU CAN SEE NONE OF THIS IS BULL-SHIT....ANYONE THAT KNOWS ME KNOWS ALL OF THESE EVENTS HAPPENED...THIS IS A REALITY FOLKS.....STREAM ISNT JUST A $620 PAY EVERY 2 WEEKS ITS A MIND TRAP...AND I JUST HAPPEN TO BE ONE OF THE ONES THAT STICKS UP FOR THEMSELVES AND GOT THE FUCK OUTTA THERE.....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really hope that everything works out for you, i completly understand where u are coming from, this building has their favorites, if you are not one of them than you might as well just pack her in, cause your job is gonna be frustrating as hell and the stress is gonna drive you.
good luck,

Tuesday, July 13, 2004 10:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Georgina,

I don't think that you're supervisor is really all that bad. They have a job to do to. As far as these people being in an idle code, they are there for a reason, because they are good at doing thier job, and they don't have a bad attitude about the place. They don't sit there and scream at customers...they are not rude to them.

Every job has it's ups and downs, and there are always going to people that do a better job than you. You have to realize that if these people are better at thier job than you they are going to get "rewards". They worked hard for them and why shouldn't they enjoy it. They actually went to work, and stayed for thier full shift. Why should you be rewarded with being off the phone for nothing?

The remark about it jsut so happened tobe the people that he interacted with outside of work that were off the phone.... no matter where you work, if you are there long enough, you will make friends with your co-workers..... being friends with these people, just like anyother people, you go out and do things with them. There have been many times that you have been seen"interacting" with a higher up.

During meetings, my teams supervisor would constantly say, "if you do not want to be here there are resignation sheets on my desk that you can sign",.... he was only stating the obvious..... if you didn't want to be there, then resign... don't be negative and try to make everybody around you negative.

and they were nothing to my supervisor all he used to muster up to me was "how did you ever get him/her to say those things about YOu?". I think that in any situation where you have to be under a supervisor they should let you feel good about accomplishments no matter how large or small....... all i have to say to this is... do not know how to take a joke??????? really, anybody who knows you and your attitude would ask you the same question.

sevourance package............ get over it!!!!!!!! imagine.......... they wouldn't pay us to sit home. what kind of company is that???

no easy way to discuss this kind of situation with my supervisor...... why is it that you are the only person that feels that way????????? ask yourself that

My last attempt to try and muster the courage to go back to work to see maybe a brighter future in the building was dampened by my seating arrangement... did you ever think that there were people that didn't want to sit by you???? it doesn't have anything to do with being clean. would you want to sit by someone that had a bad attitude, and all they did was hollar at people?

i talked to his per-say secretary (a girl on our team that he had do all his arrands and such........ maybe if you were willing to help someone other than yourself you may have been able to get some of this idle time.

You have to fac it....... a job is what you make of it and you didn't want to make anythingout of... therefor you have no job!!! SUCK IT UP!!!!!

Wednesday, July 14, 2004 10:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, So you had a bad supervisor, you just dont get up and quit cause of that. This is what you do. You go to his boss and launch a complain, hold a meeting to go over the things you posted and write down the minutes, then the office has a written record of your complaint and HR becomes involved. In that case you either get a new sup that you like or you get another you dont like which in that case it would be wise to start the process again until your satisfied. Stream is just a job and for someone to take it like you do, I have to say you should buy a helmet cause reality is much more worse then what you are feeling about it. Cant say I'm sorry for you cause I'm definatly not. Life sucks so suck it up and soldier on. Or grow up, either way you will find your way.

Thursday, July 15, 2004 12:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter Stats
contracts for difference
contracts for difference Counter